Chocolate and Peanut Butter Buckeyes
Chocolate and peanut butter are an irresistible flavor combination. Salty-sweet, creamy peanut butter is a natural complement to chocolate’s bittersweet richness. It’s not surprising that the handmade peanut butter cups and peanut butter pies are a favorite at Captain Jackson’s Historic Chocolate Shop.
If you want to make a sweet treat with this delicious flavor duo in your own kitchen, this is the perfect recipe. These peanut butter chocolate buckeyes combine a sweetened peanut butter filling with the rich, dark chocolate flavor of American Heritage Historic Chocolate. The resulting candies are almost too good. You won’t be able to eat just one!
With just five ingredients and no candy mold required, this is the perfect no-bake dessert for potlucks, holidays, or anytime you’re craving something sweet. This recipe makes about 30 buckeyes, but they’re guaranteed to be a hit, so you may want to make a double batch.
¾ cup peanut butter
½ cup butter, softened
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
1. Using an electric mixer, blend together the peanut butter, butter, vanilla extract, and confectioners’ sugar. Mix until the ingredients combine into a smooth paste that is dry but not crumbly.
2. Roll the peanut butter mixture into 1 inch balls and place on a wax paper covered baking sheet.
3. Chill peanut butter balls in the freezer for at least 30 minutes, until firm.
4. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or microwave.
To use a double boiler, stir chocolate continuously until fully melted and smooth.
To use a microwave, work in smaller batches to ensure a continuous supply of fully melted chocolate. Split the chocolate drink mix into 2-3 portions and heat half of one portion until it is melted, about 2 minutes. Stir until it is smooth, and then stir in the remaining half of the chocolate until it is fully melted. Repeat with each batch as needed.
5. Remove the peanut butter balls from the freezer. Insert a toothpick into one and dip it into the melted chocolate, leaving the top uncovered. Return chocolate covered ball to wax paper. Repeat with each one.
6. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Enjoy!